Handcrafted at WheatonArts
Cranberry Millville Pitcher
Approximately 9″ tall.
Story card included:
This glass pitcher is a replica of the earliest known piece of Millville glass
which is in the collection of the Museum of American Glass at WheatonArts.
The original pitcher was purchased in Millville in the winter of 1808 -1809 by
David Dare while he and his friends were on a sleighing party traveling from their
homes in Bridgeton to Millville. Sleighing parties, which often included visiting
taverns and glass factories in neighboring towns, were popular pastimes for
young people in the early 1800's. At that time, Millville was a small hamlet
with a mill, a tavern, a school, three stores, several houses and a glass
factory. The factory was founded in 1806 by James Lee, who also established a
glass house down river in Port Elizabeth.